Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Best Birthday Gift !!

What better gift can anybody get on his birthday by getting a job.yes I am one of those lucky ones. On the eve of my birthday when I should have been partying I was busy from morning till 11pm in night giving interviews.but now I know that it was all worth it..It is the happiest day of my life. After a long wait of more than 2 years and unending struggle my job search has finally come to an end. I AM PLACED...yes that’s true.I've got a job now. All the hard work, all the struggles, all the frustrations has now disappeared. And I am really very very happy. I just can’t tell you.the feeling is yet to sink that I have got the job.

Getting a big brand, a good profile and a handsome salary is always dream and I am no exception. Guess what happens when you wake up and realize that it is no longer a dream. It is a reality. You are now what you have been striving for. I can now proudly say this to my friends, my relatives and to myself. Nothing more is so important now.it really feels so good I never knew.in the last couple of months I started getting very desperate and tensed for this.and my last blog is an example of this..I started losing hope and was even willing to settle down at a lower salary but I think destiny was on my side this time.When I say that I was destined to get this job am really true saying that I was pure lucky.Don't believe me, read out below.

I was to appear for an interview in a company called Sheila Foams which was offering me 16,000 per month. I saw my mail night before my interview that I have been shortlisted by HCL but the interview is on 1st Feb. which coincidentally falls on the same date and same time as Sheila Foams. But in HCL JD they did not mention that they were offering SCM profile infact they mentioned they needed people for marketing but with Engg background.though I was allowed to sit for interview but I was reluctant to join for marketing profile irrespective of what the package was I decided to give HCL interview a miss and appear for Sheila foams. Coincidentally the interview at Sheila foams got over bit early and when I checked out in HCL I found that the GD round is already over and they are not entertaining any more people. I tried to get in touch with HR and my PlaceCom head but at both the times I was refused was told that they have stopped the process and I can’t go now.nevertheless I thought lest just drop in there and meet other people from our college there..I went there I tried to convince the HR several times.but I failed.after numerous efforts and continuous pestering she allowed me but now the problem was that there was only me left for GD so GD round could not take place hence she allowed me to appear for personal interview directly. Lucky me!

 Round 1:
I was 2nd time lucky here I went inside for interview facing a panel of 4interviewers looking very serious and intimidating.they started asking me questions from my Engg after seeing that I am an electronics engineer..They asked me things like VSAT, satellite communication process, GSM, CDMA etc etc.luckily one of the other interviewer was also APICS CPIM certified and he asked me lot of questions on SCM.much to his surprise I was able to answer those questions very well and with confidence..He seemed quite impressed.

Round2:
After short listing people based on GD and technical interview from a pool of 80studenst from 5 different colleges they shortlisted only 3 people and I was 1 amongst them. This time the lady recruiter told us clearly about the profile. She said that though they had initially not offered this profile but now after seeing our interest in SCM they want us to be a part of their strategic sourcing team. It’s a pure end to end global procurement part of their SCM profile.they briefed us about the profile and I was extremely impressed because I wanted profile exactly like this since it was complementing my interest in APICS as well. I was 3rd time lucky here. They asked if we had any questions. I asked them a lot of questions and I realized that they found me very curious and quite well read on the subject matter. She said that they want each 3 of us to think if we are interested in the profile, and once we are decided then they will take a 1 on 1 interview for each of us.

Round3:
This time the interview was much more technical, intense and more stressful.it was a pure global procurement live case study interview.and they asked me to give them a logical flow about my approach towards solving the case. I started by going very fast.the interviewer seemed unimpressed. She reminded me that till so far she found me the most impressive guy but I am ruining her perceptions by being so fast and overlooking important details. I got alarmed. My blood flow was racing fast. I tried to calm down. I started thinking and gave them logical answer slowly and slowly guess this time they liked my approach and they kept on interrupting me and giving me some hints and suggestions. I refined my points and again presented them.this whole interview lasted for 1.5hours.finally when they were exhausted with their questions.they told me to go out and wait. Then came the last and final HR round. It was more of a formality and she just asked me simple questions about my background, family, strengths, weakness, willing to relocate type of stuff.when she was finally done I asked her when should I get the result..In the passing by remark, it slipped out from her mouth by mistake that she will be sending me offer letter to my PlaceCom head tomorrow morning.

Well that was the end of the day. I was happy yet nervous.at one time I was feeling that I am selected and happy thoughts were rushing inside me and at other side I was tensed and thinking what if they reject me, what if they don’t send me offer letter..Honestly speaking I couldn’t sleep that whole night.
Next morning I went to my placement head and asked her to send the mail to the company HR.it was when I was having my lunch; I got a Sms from my placement head to come to her cabin. To see my reaction he tried to play with me and told me bluntly that they have rejected me because I couldn’t clear some of their criteria.it was worthwhile seeing my face. I was totally dumb struck, and confounded. But just as I was about to break into tears she loudly screamed that I am Selected. I saw that mail and must have read each and every line for at least 10times for my surety.

I came outside the office and immediately called my mom and told her that mom I have got my birthday gift.she was so happy. Her only son had got a job which she could proudly boast about.and as they say, the rest is history.

PS: The joining letter is still due and I am awaiting further details like my salary breakup, location and joining date. Assuming that the confirmation mail is proof that I am placed I am making a sin of being overjoyed.god please don’t spoil my party. I deserve it very badly.












No comments: